Walking to the Playground

Walking to the Playground
Houston a few years ago

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Being an old mother

Choosing to become a mother for the first time when most women are approaching empty nests seems insane. Unlike most younger mothers, I don't have my parents around to help.  As many 50+ persons, I have an assortment of health issues, like osteoarthritis, that can make caring for children difficult. However, it was a wise decision for me. 

As a post-menopausal mother, I don't have the debilitating periods I used to get from my teen years through my thirties. Now, I have the wisdom that comes from surviving decades of my bad judgements. Unlike my younger self, I haven't the least desire to seek out excitement. Now, my children provide me with all the excitement I can stand.

The biggest factor is the saddest one:  my own mother died before I became a mother myself.  I loved my mother and miss her, but she had the misfortune of extreme immaturity, anxiety and depression.  Even at a distance of a thousand miles, she occupied my mind and drained my energy.  Friends used to say, "Talk about something else, we're sick of you talking about your problems with your mother."  It's amazing I was able to have a career and a life apart from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your opinion of my little blog.